I believe that the welfare of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed is of paramount importance. It supersedes any other commitment to Cavaliers, whether that be personal, competitive, or financial. Therefore I agree to act in accordance with the following Code of Ethics at all times, and I understand that actions contrary to the Code may be grounds for disciplinary measures to be taken by the Board of Directors of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, USA, Inc. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club, USA, Inc. (hereafter referred to as CKCSC) is a Club composed of members devoted to the continued betterment of the breed, who put this interest well ahead of any commercial consideration. The following Code of Ethics is predicated upon this fundamental philosophy.
I. Records and Registration
I understand that all records compiled by the CKCSC, USA depend entirely upon the accuracy of the information I provide. Therefore, I will register every eligible Cavalier owned, bred or imported by me, in accordance with the CKCSC, USA Rules for Registration and Transfer of Dogs. I will maintain complete and accurate records of each litter I breed and register each puppy individually, as follows:
A. For the sire and dam:
- 1. CKCSC, USA registered name, number (or Accepted Foreign Registry name and number), color, and date of birth.
2. Names and addresses of registered owners.
3. Dates of actual breeding.
B. For the resulting litter:
- 1. Date of whelping.
2. Number, color and sex of puppies delivered.
3. Name, sex and registration number of each puppy surviving.
4. Name and address of owner of each puppy transferred.
I realize that the purpose of breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels is to attempt to bring their natural qualities to perfection in accordance with the Breed Standard. There exists a constant danger that ignorant or disreputable breeders may, by improper practices, produce physically, mentally or temperamentally unsound specimens to the detriment of the breed. I will consult with the breeder of the dog I own and/or with some other experienced breeder before undertaking any breeding.
A. If I decide to breed a litter, I will
- 1. To the best of my ability be selective with respect to the conformation, physical well being, and temperament of the pair to be mated.
2. Breed only after a careful study and understanding of the Breed Standard, as it applies to the pedigrees of the two dogs involved, and to the dogs themselves.
3. Breed only Cavaliers registered with the CKCSC, USA, or a registry recognized by the CKCSC, USA.
4. Be prepared to provide the proper care for both the bitch and her litter, and to retain the puppies for as long as is necessary to assure their placement in suitable homes.
5. Never breed from or to any Cavalier known to me to have a disqualifying, or disabling health defect. Testing for inherited diseases and health defects is strongly recommended by CKCSC, USA.
6. Register with CKCSC, USA, in accordance with the Club’s Policies and Procedures for Breeding, Registration and Transfer of Dogs, each of my Cavalier litters whelped in the USA.
7. Never breed, or breed to, a Restricted from Breeding Dog or Bitch unless the revocation of restriction from breeding has been recorded in The Registration Office prior to mating.
B. As the owner of a stud dog, I realize that I must exercise exemplary conduct in the use of my dog in order to abide by the standards set forth in this Code of Ethics. Therefore I will
- 1. Use my dog only on bitches which I feel are an asset to the breed.
2. See the bitch’s pedigree and registration certificate to check ownership, age, and restrictions and try to ascertain the number of litters, and when she last had a litter.
3. Supply a duly signed Stud Service Certificate at an appropriate time.
4. Be as helpful as possible in assisting the owner of the bitch with the placement of any puppies resulting from the use of my dog, realizing that I am as responsible as the breeder for these puppies.
5. Offer to assist the owner of the bitch in completing registration procedures for registration of the litter and for transfer of the litter pups.
6. Provide one free return service by the same dog for a bitch which has failed to conceive, as long as the dog is still in my ownership.
C. As the owner of a brood bitch, I realize that I must exercise exemplary conduct in breeding from her in order to abide by the standards set forth in this Code of Ethics. Therefore I will not:
- 1. Breed a bitch before she is one year old, and then only if she is sufficiently mature and in excellent health; nor breed a bitch that has reached her eighth birthday.
2. Allow a bitch to whelp more than two litters during any three consecutive seasons.
3. Allow a bitch to carry to term and rear more than six litters in her lifetime.
A. I will provide all my Cavaliers with proper veterinary and home care, which includes:
- 1. Checking into the removal of dewclaws, including hind dewclaws if present. The CKCSC, USA strongly recommends the removal of front dewclaws.
2. The elimination of parasites, internal or external.
3. The necessary inoculations as determined by a veterinarian.
4. A properly balanced nutritional diet.
B. I will do my best to evaluate my Cavaliers objectively and to use for breeding only those conforming closely to the Breed Standard. All others I will either have neutered before transferring them, or will transfer with a CKCSC, USA “Restricted Transfer of Dog” form, duly signed by buyer and seller, restricting the Cavalier from being used for breeding purposes.
C. I will to the very best of my ability screen all prospective new owners to determine their suitability and their motives for acquiring a Cavalier. Special attention will be given to the necessary commitment to financial responsibility for proper care and adequate physical facilities.
D. I will not allow any puppy to leave for its new home before the age of eight weeks. The CKCSC recommends ten to twelve weeks as the appropriate age for transfer.
E. I will make sure that each of my Cavaliers, upon being released to its new owner, is accompanied by the following:
- 1. Feeding instructions.
2. Written medical records, which will include immunizations, types of vaccines used, date(s) of inoculations, date(s) of worming if any.
3. A pedigree showing at least three generations.
4. A copy of this Code of Ethics.
5. A CKCSC, USA new membership application form.
6. A current Certificate of Health signed by my veterinarian.
F. I will see that the necessary forms and fees to transfer ownership are submitted to the Registration Office.
G. I will encourage all new owners to have their Cavaliers checked by a veterinarian within forty-eight hours of time of acquisition.
H. I will encourage all new owners to keep me informed concerning the development of any Cavalier obtained from me, and to advise me of any problems that may develop during its lifetime, as well as of the eventual cause of death.
I. I will ask the owner(s) of any dog acquired from me to advise me if they are ever unable to keep their Cavalier, so that I can either take the dog back or give every assistance in rehoming it.
J. I understand that if I co-own a dog it is wise to have a contract drawn up, signed by both co-owners, stating the exact terms of the co-ownership.
K. I will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the quality of the dog.
L. CKCSC, USA recommends that all sales of dogs be the subject of a written agreement.
IV. General Conduct of Members
I will remember at all times that the CKCSC, USA exists to protect and improve the breed, and that these aims must be uppermost in all activities within the breed.
A. I will
1. Try to educate each owner or interested person, and to be constructive as well as instructive in my comments.
2. Always demonstrate good sportsmanship both inside and outside the show ring.
3. Behave in a manner that will be conducive to the advancement of our Breed and our Club.
4. Properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under my care and maintain sanitary conditions for my dog(s).
5. Make every effort to do what is best for my Cavalier, including house breaking and general training, so he will become a dog which is a pleasure to live with.
6. Assure that my Cavalier has good medical care, including appropriate vaccinations, throughout his lifetime, even if he develops a chronic or acute illness or condition, and make sure he is euthanized when I know this has become necessary.
7. Consider permanent identification of all dogs using a currently acceptable method. CKCSC, USA strongly recommends that all dogs be permanently identified. The identification number must be recorded with the Registration Secretary.
B. I will not
- 1. Knowingly falsify pedigree or breeding information.
2. Sell Cavaliers to pet shops either on consignment or outright.
3. Supply or sell Cavaliers for auctions, raffles, flea markets, dealers, wholesalers, or other such enterprises.
4. Knowingly sell to unethical breeders, or sell to persons whose intention to resale is known or suspected.
5. Purchase any Cavalier or any litter for resale either to an individual or a commercial establishment.
6. Intentionally and falsely degrade another member, member’s Cavalier, kennel, or practices.
C. In all questions of ethics not covered by this Code, I will act in the best interest of the breed at all times.
A. I will not exhibit in an Official Conformation Class any Cavalier which has been changed in appearance or gait by artificial means, except for the optional removal of its dewclaws, and the optional docking of its tail and optional neutering or spaying. The term artificial means covers any attempt to alter the appearance or gait of the dog, whether it be by coloring, trimming, surgery or other method.
B. When I exhibit my Cavalier(s) I will be considerate of all other exhibitors and their dogs, remembering that I, as well as my Cavalier, represent our breed and our Club. I will abide by the Show Rules and the requests made by show officials.
VI. Enforcement and Appeals
A. I acknowledge that a violation of the Code of Ethics may be the cause for sanctions under the provisions of the Bylaws of the CKCSC, USA.
B. I understand that it is my responsibility to notify an Officer or a Director if I clearly believe a violation of this Code has been committed.
C. Members of the Board of Directors may not take an active part in decisions which personally affect them.
It is recognized that legitimate exceptions to this Code of Ethics may arise from time to time. In such cases, any member may request that the problem be reviewed by the President, or the President’s designee(s), who will make a recommendation to the Board of Directors. Furthermore, in certain cases, with sufficient evidence, and under conditions where the welfare of the breed is assured, the Board of Directors may waive any of the foregoing provisions.